A great way to make your day work for you is to plan some non-negotiable nurture time into it.
When I say “nurture time”, I mean an activity or a commitment that is going to enhance your wellbeing. One thing in your day that remains sacrosanct, no matter what your day throws at you.
Here are some example well-being non-negotiables that other people have used to nurture themselves on a daily basis:
- To only drink water or herbal tea
- To spend 30 minutes doing one thing from their Getting Sober Toolkit
- To spend half an hour in the bath with a book
- To go to bed at 10pm
- To only eat non-processed or non-sugary food
- To keep all electronic gadgets off all day (or for a portion of the day)
- To complete a challenging workout or exercise
- To write the letter they’ve always wanted to write
- To get up at 6am and do 30 minutes of yoga
- To do one good deed for someone else
- To snack on fresh fruit, nuts and seeds
- To shop for something nice for themselves
When you plan a Wellbeing Non-Negotiable into your day and you stick to it, you’re also taking control. The unconscious part of you is learning that you have
control and this gives you more confidence. The more confidence you have, the easier it is to take control and this leads to a positive cycle.
Even more effective is to mentally rehearse yourself carrying out this Wellbeing Non-negotiable… imagine all the challenges that might come your way during the day and that you still stick to your plan. Imagining being successful in the face of challenge helps to make it a reality.
What Wellbeing Non-Negotiable can you commit to today?